Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

What is the best way to complete the FAFSA?

The best method for completing the FAFSA is filling it out online at For more information about the FAFSA, please visit

What is Moody's federal school code?

Our federal school code is 001727. Enter this code on your FAFSA in order to have your information sent to Moody. This code is used for all of our campuses and schools.

I probably don't qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don't qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. Plus, the FAFSA form is free, confidential, and the majority of the information requested can be found on your 1040 tax form. Beginning in the 2013–2014 academic year, the FAFSA will be required for participation in the Chicago tuition-paid program.

Do I need to be admitted at Moody before I can submit the FAFSA?

No. You can submit a FAFSA any time after Jan. 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at Moody Bible Institute prior to the census date for each term.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?

Yes. The Financial Aid Office requires that you submit a new FAFSA every year. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college. Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on you making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.

I have already completed the FAFSA for another school. How do I add Moody to my FAFSA form?
If you have already completed the FAFSA but did not list Moody in the school section, you may edit your FAFSA online at  Sign in using your PIN and add Moody's school code (001727) to the list of schools. You may also contact the Federal Student Aid Center at 1-800-433-3243 for instructions on how to have your information sent to Moody. Once the Financial Aid Office receives your information, we will notify you of your financial aid status and required paperwork.

Can I apply for federal loans at Moody?
No. While your SAR results may indicate that you qualify for one or more federal loans, Moody has chosen not to participate in the loan portion of Title IV federal aid.

Receiving Notification of Financial Aid

How do I find out about the status of my financial aid?

The Financial Aid Office will notify you by e-mail of your awards. To ensure prompt notification, please remember to check your Moody email at You may also check your financial aid status online by logging in to

Home Schooling and Financial Aid 

Are there any programs that provide student financial assistance to homeschooled children?

Homeschooled students are eligible for federal student aid for college if they have "completed a secondary school education in a home school setting that is treated as a home school or private school under State law" (Section 484(d)(3) of the Higher Education Act of 1965). Homeschooled students have not been required to take the GED or take an ability-to-benefit test since the Higher Education Amendments of 1998.

High school dropouts must take a GED exam or an ability-to-benefit test, but students who have completed a home schooled secondary education that satisfies the requirements of state law do not. For additional information, see

Many private scholarships are open to homeschooled students. Some scholarships, however, require a high school diploma or GED. If a scholarship requires a high school diploma or GED, ask for a clarification or exception before applying.