Reach Chicago for Christ one person at a time
Your Practical Christian Ministry at Moody Bible Institute is your opportunity to make a difference for Christ in Chicago. You'll get to be the hands and feet of Jesus to people of all ages, in every walk of life—and prepare for life and ministry after you graduate.
You’ll attend your PCM at a ministry in Chicago once a week and gain skills in serving others and your area of study. Every week you can apply what you’re learning from classes and influence people for Christ. You'll form relationships and deepen your faith as you serve with other students and get ministry experience in an urban context.
What you’ll get from your PCM
Get benefits for life and ministry from your PCM, including:
- Exposure to different ministries (there are more than 300 PCM options)
- Discipline as you attend weekly
- Skills in your desired ministry
- Experience in sharing the gospel across cultures and generations
- Connections with ministry leaders
Hear about your PCM from current students
The PCM department will assign each SEED ministry for either one or two semesters. Here are a few examples of each:
- Service: homeless shelters, rescue missions, after-school programs, supervising recreational center activities
- Evangelism: open air gospel teams, street witnessing, campus events, church neighborhood campaigns, Child Evangelism Fellowship
- Encouragement: retirement homes, special needs patients and people groups, nursing centers, tutoring
- Discipleship: church youth programs, small groups, youth mentoring associations, kids' Bible clubs, Awana, correctional centers
Your PCM Experience
- Freshmen and Sophomores
- Juniors and Seniors
- Transfer Students
- PCM Ministry Trips
When you’re a freshman and sophomore, you're assigned a PCM and placed in a group of students.
In your first four semesters, you must complete PCMs in two of the four major SEED (Service, Evangelism, Encouragement, Discipleship) ministry categories.
When you’re a junior and senior, you can choose your PCM from the database of available ministries.
You can also seek opportunities with churches or organizations not on the database, which will need approval from the PCM department.
Transfer students must complete one category of SEED ministry for every two semesters of previous college enrollment.
Every year during spring break, you can take a ministry trip with the PCM department. Staff and faculty lead trips to locations all around the world. You'll get a chance to serve the community and do ministry with the local church. You can learn and grow with other students as you care for people.
Meet the PCM department
Chair of Field Education PCM
PCM Operations Manager
Ministry Projects Coordinator
SEED Ministries Supervisor
We want to serve you, and help your student ministry experience be the best it can be. For your freshman and sophomore year, we’ll try to place you in a ministry that helps you grow. When you’re a junior and senior, we’ll help you find something that fits your ministry goals, gives you practical experience, and looks good on your résumé!